Thursday, August 31, 2006

goodbye

In 24 hours, I will be on a plane, high above the Atlantic, zooming along the curve of the earth toward my new home.
For some reason, this isn't really hitting me as hard as I thought it would. Maybe I'm still in shock. Maybe this will all hit me on the plane.
I thought I would be bursting with insightful words and thoughts about my last night in America, but I'm just incredibly tired. Putting my feelings into words, at this point, wouldn't really achieve anything. And anyway, I don't want to try and recapture it. I just want to let it be. These feelings are good.
Today was spent running amok arranging things before I leave. I spent way more money than I should have, but eh, it'll end up ok. I hope I can get a job over there quickly, but only after I figure out my way around the city. Finally, after Best Buy did nothing in time, Mom, Earl and I had to go in tonight and pick out a brand new one. I am now the proud owner of a glistening Toshiba laptop, with duel processors and a 15.4" screen. This is not your basic cheap computer. Oh no. She's a beauty, and I intend to treat her far, far better than anyone expects of me.
Before we went along our way, Mom hunted down the GM of Best Buy and gave him a speech about how she's buying this laptop in good faith that the company will reimburse her for part of it, as they did take my laptop hostage for 3 months. Go Mom. You scare those computer geeks.
But now, I am relieved. Hallelujah.
Last night I went over to eat with the Grandparents, and I brought Craig with me. We had a wonderful meal out on the porch and Craig and I went for a post-dinner canoe ride. It was so peaceful and relaxed with the sun setting...mmm.
Craig and I cuddled all night on the couch, til I kicked him out because he had to work at 5:30 this morning. I am going to miss him a lot, but the time will fly by. All too soon, I'll be sappy about leaving Freiburg. Ah. I'm sure I'll be a mess.
After going to Best Buy, we went out to dinner at J. Alexanders, per my request. I had Norwegian salmon, smashed potatoes and about 60 Cokes.
I really got spoiled today. Sheesh.
Then we stopped by my dad's to say goodbye to my step-mom, Karyn.
(Did I mention that her name is spelled Karyn? Gee. That's a great name. Karyn. Lovely name.)
I'll see Jimmy and Dad tomorrow, but I had to get some step-mommy hugs before taking off. Jimmy was running around in his football pads. Apparently, I know nothing about tackling people. I figure this is a good thing.
All these goodbyes are depressing me. Bah.
Now, I am desperately trying to make the 2 suitcase idea work. I think I can manage it, with some strategic packing.
Alright, I think I've run out of things to say. Maybe I'll go get some sleep. Tomorrow's gonna be one hell of a day.
Next entry from the Vaterland.

No comments: