Friday, August 11, 2006

the dangers of Gatorade

At times, I am so ready to just get the hell out of here.
Last night was not one of them.
A few days ago Julia (one of my roommates) told me she was planning to have people from her work come over. Julia, Sarah and I are all slaves to the restaurant industry, so living with each other works out well because we can all complain to each other. I also have a weak spot for stealing Sarah's clothes, but she ate all my peanut butter, so I don't feel too bad.
Anyway, I'm always one to partake in a party. So I did my best to help Julia out, called up a few people, did some requisite freaking out, and fell down in the shower. At our last "get-together" my phone got stolen, which ended in a lot of tears. Why would anyone want to steal one of my electronics? They are cursed. The cops eventually found it in a car they impounded, so that was a lucky break. It's also kind of refreshing to be out of contact with the world, but given the way people my age do things, tres difficile. Needless to say, last night I was watching my things like a hawk.
I spent the majority of the night with Molly, Seth, and Craig. To clarify...
Molly- Best friend from high school who now goes to Michigan State.
Seth- Former crush from high school, now is just a really good friend.
Craig - Boyfriend
We hung out on the porch, made fun of each other, and ate ridiculous amounts of my chips and Goldfish. It was a nice, laid-back summer night with some of my favorite people, which I found blissful. Michael Jackson "The Way You Make Me Feel" came on at one point, too. I don't care how creepy that man is. He can add to any social gathering. Watching Seth dance may have made the night for me. Or Bill Withers "Use Me" being played on repeat.
I guess it just alerted me more to the fact that, yes, I am leaving something good. Not necessarily for something better, either, but something different. Maybe that's what a lot of people don't understand. If you find something good, why leave it?
I guess it's just because I've been blessed enough to have options.
And yes, different. But not so different from here. I am going from one upper middle-class life to another, and I will be well cared for. And the things that I love the most (that aren't tangible and breathing) are universal.

Yesterday, Stephanie and I went out to get some Panera turkey sandwiches and talk logistics. Stephanie will be the poor soul who gets to travel with me to Germany. To be more specific, we are taking a flight to London, a flight to Switzerland, and then a bus into Freiburg. By the time we get into Freiburg, I'll need someone to scrape me off the seat and point me toward my dorm. Oh lucky girl.
But wait...hold on...LONDON????? FLYING INTO LONDON???
Now, I don't want to be one of the many, many Americans who is scared of their own shadows thanks to all the propaganda thrown around these days. But, I'm not really that thrilled about being blown up with a something that partially made out of Gatorade. No thanks. I don't even like sports drinks.
Stephanie asked me if I wanted to look for a flight that doesn't fly into London, but I have faith in American security, especially now that we're on level red smokin' hot or something. Most people in our program are flying into Frankfurt and are taking a train down. But not us. We had to torture some travel agent and find an obscure alternate route.
All I have to say is, I'd better be able to bring my Ipod on the plane, dammit.

Alright, since I got 6 hours of sleep, instead of my required 15, it is nap time. Work was amusing, although not very fruitful. I get to go back in again at 7. Oh Joy.

No comments: