Monday, August 14, 2006

jumping jacks over the Atlantic

For some sub-conscious reason, I am running around "setting my affairs in order" before I leave. I feel like I have some terminal disease and need to clear things up before I'm off. Also, there seems to be a neverending amount of things to do, but instead of being productive, I simply get overwhelmed and decide to do nothing but sit on my couch and watch old episodes of Entourage and eat melon pops.
All I've done all summer is work. Now, I don't mind work, and I've felt better about this summer because I'm paying for the roof over my head, gas for my car, books about Mormons and I've been able to satisfy my raging sushi addiction. But I'm one of those crazy people that actually likes learning new things. If I could, I'd be in school forever, getting every Liberal Arts degree possible. I think overall I will feel better, and be more sane, when I'm taking classes and writing papers.
But this year, those papers get to be 30 pages long and in German. Ok I'm not going to think about that yet.
The above comment about Mormons refers to my fascination with them this summer. I've read several very informative books and watched Season 1 of Big Love in a fury. Mormon Fundamentalists are my favorite. They are amazing and horrifying. If any MF are reading this, I don't mean to offend you. But chances are you aren't allowed to touch a "COMPUTER OF SATAN" and you're off busy trying to manage your 7 wives.

The other night I went out and got sushi with my old boyfriend, David, whom I dated when I was in high school. I wish I had something profound and deeply insightful to say about that, but it was a fairly straight-forward date. He's still as perfect as he ever was, and I'm still not attracted to that for some reason. Lately he's been going through a "Why am I here?" phase, which I think is a trend in your early 20's. I'm looking forward to my time searching for God. Oy.
We ate at Sadako, got Stuccis, and then traipsed around campus for a bit. I gave him the tour and got a kick out of watching him react to all the Ann Arbor characters that were running amok on a Saturday night. None of them phase me anymore, so it's funny watching a normal reaction.
"Why is that guy riding around on his bike with an orange cone on his head?"
"What? Oh...I didn't even notice"
I told him that if he really wants to find God, he should sell his BMW 330 and donate all of that to starving children in Africa.
It was good to see him. I wish he still didn't have feelings for me. And I wish I hadn't left my Philadelphia rolls in his trunk.
Dinner #2 down. Now I need to find a new victim...

Stephanie is IMing me, telling me that as of right now, all flights out of London are only allowed a clear plastic bag containing nothing electronic. And seeing as our connecting flights don't leave us enough time to check luggage once we're at Heathrow...I DON'T GET MY IPOD WITH ME FOR 20 HOURS OR SO OF TRAVELING.
This is very bad. I'm already worried about getting claustrophobic, but you can always heal that with a few jumping-jacks over by the bathrooms. Now I have to worry about terrorists, I don't get an Ipod or a water bottle, and now I have to find the perfect book to satisfy me for an entire day. Usually I'm reading about 8 books at once and I work through them depending on my mood swings. This will be horribly limiting and headache inducing.
Maybe I'll just bring Ulysses and sleeping pills and knock myself out.

And now, I am going to go vent to my innocent boyfriend about airport security and my lack of computer.

No comments: