Sunday, August 27, 2006

Notausgang

Great. I'm moving out of the country on Friday, and my sister just informed me that she's holding my passport hostage. I am never going to get the $6 she owes me.
To provide a visual, I am holed up in my basement in wrinkled clothes. My hair is askew, none of my clothes really match, and I'm listening to Abba. I want today to end.
Last night I had horrible dreams about alien attacks. These aliens actually looked like a pomegranates cut in half with legs, and they were telepathic and mean. I woke up around 11, sprawled out on the couch with my mom, talked online with various Freiburgers about packing, didn't really move until 5:30 when I realized that maybe I still could make something of the day. I didn't really want to have anything to do with anyone today, which I see as an unhealthy side-effect of my suddenly becoming introverted this summer.
Ignoring humanity pissed my dad off, which just made things worse. Eventually the day was saved by a trip up to East Lansing to drop off my sister. We all went out to eat at some Meditteranean place and then my mom and I sang Billy Joel the whole way home.

I'm conflicted. I want to live up this week and cherish every moment, but at the same time I just want so badly to get out of here and get this move over with. I know so little about what life will be like over there next year. Such things like my dorm, my classes, and my roommates are all still a mystery to me. I knew all of those things going into U of M. I'm just incredibly frustrated, I guess. I know so little and I can only do so much to prepare.
I'm most worried about missing my family. Everything else is more or less taken care of, but how do you prepare to not see your mother for 7 months? It makes my head spin.

My going away party was on Saturday, which was very generously thrown by my mom and Earl, her boyfriend. We bought a bunch of bratwurst and German chocolate cakes and played German beer hall music. My grandpa translated: Beer here! Beer here! Or I'll fall over!
...um
It also gave my mother an opportunity to actually learn the colors of the German flag. Originally, we were going to have just orange, yellow and black balloons. Red was ordered at the last second. I was appalled and am now concerned that they won't even let her in the country to visit me.
Lots of friends and family members came, which made me feel very loved. My sister, Molly, and Brian each paid $100 to fly out one of my best friends, Nate, from Massachusetts for the affair. This was originally meant to be a surprise, but I ruined it for myself.
OH WELL. Doesn't mean it was worth less. Still one of my best presents I've ever gotten. Nate and I got to cuddle all night, play Clue, and talk about life. Laura and Allison sang a duet from Marriage of Figaro. Nate sang the fight song for Worchester Polytechnic Institute. The Pipers did "Java Jive". My grandpa kept running around saying random things in German.
I love our parties. They are so classic.

Last night also made me realize that my true friends I can count on one hand. And by true friends I mean the people who can predict me, value me and really love me for all of my flaws.
I am going to miss you crazy, crazy people.
Tonight while helping move my sister in, I took one of the boxes, put it over my head, and started walking around like a robot. I don't think Germany knows what's on the way. Seeing as they don't believe in laughter or fun or loud things, I'm kind of screwed.
I also recently read that GARBAGE DISPOSALS ARE ILLEGAL. WHAT IS THAT????
This morning I also decided to start working on my coffee addiction. I'm not touching cigarettes ever, so I need one addiction to fit in.
Oh, and I also conveniently gave Stephanie the wrong directions to get to my party. She called me when she was about 45 minutes out of her way. So, now I've pissed off the girl I'm flying with, and she'll probably ditch me in London. I'll end up on a flight to Thailand all because I don't know west from east, apparently. Eventually she got here, but I felt horrible.
Maybe I should have kept that cardboard box over my head...
I had best go end this day with some Kerouac and decaf tea. Happier entries are on the way, once I get myself out of limbo.

No comments: