Thursday, September 07, 2006

basil and chives

Alright, I hadn't planned on updating tonight, but seeing as I just read an e-mail from my Aunt Shirley about how she checked my blog 50 times a day, I will do so for her.
I just wrote a gigantic e-mail to my parents so I'm a little tired of typing. It's also about 12:30 AM here (or 00:23, to be more precise). I believe I am the first person in my entire program to actually get their Internet to work, so I have been rejoicing. Tomorrow our whole group is going on a day trip to Schauinsland up to the summit. If it's clear, we'll be able to see all the way to the Alps. So, I need to get up early for that, but I'm not yet tired.
Freiburg is breathtaking. It's the perfect European city to study abroad in and I am absolutely elated that I get to be here for 11 months. I've already begun talking with my peers about how difficult it will be to leave this place. The past few days have been a whirlwind of information, tours and excursions. I've already successfully opened my bank account, signed my lease, gotten my health and travel insurance arranged, and signed my city permit. As of yesterday, I am now an official citizen of Freiburg.
Today was also our placement test, which will determine which level classes we will be taking for the next 3 weeks. After the test, a group of us went to Neukauf and bought onions, peppers, wurst, and spaghetti. We all headed back to my place and feasted, all to the sounds of an impressive thunderstorm. Even though, at this point, we are all hanging out with Americans, we are doing our best to speak as much German as we can. We made our best attempt at German Outburst, which was an interesting endeavor. I think my roommates think I'm crazy. I'm the crazy, young American girl who's always listening to hip-hop music and taking long showers.
My roommates are - Christoph, Maxi, Jans, Serena, and I think another Christof. He's in Prague or something....and Jans may have moved out today. I saw him mopping? Anyway, they are all German and they are all wonderfully kind and helpful. I have a nice spacious room to myself with a big window. I'm doing my best to make it cozy but seeing as everything I buy I have to lug back to my room in 27 degree weather, it stinks to buy stuff. See? I used CELCIUS. For all of you Americans, that's about 80 degrees. Bahaha.
Our kitchen is so cute. By cute I mean endearing and smaller than what I am used to. The bathroom is roughly the size of a matchbox, but I'm slowly getting used to it. We have basil and chives growing right in our kitchen. Serena is "die Kochmeisterin" (I'm almost positive I made up that word) meaning she's an amazing cook. Our WG (Wohngemeinschaft - living community) always smells good. Most German university students are in their mid-20's. They are in school a year longer than Americans are, and in Germany it's more popular to take some time off before going to University. Christoph told me that I am a "young chicken". I woke up at 1 this afternoon and went in the kitchen and ate jam right out of the jar. My hair was also all askew and I was mumbling in German with him. Poor German roommates. They don't know what they got themselves into.
My program is amazing. I am so, so thankful that I've been given this opportunity, and pretty damn proud of myself for taking advantage of it. Sure, every so often I get pangs of homesickness, but it's only a year. Every so often it hits me that I am actually living in Europe. I am no tourist. When I pull out my map and complain loudly in English, maybe I look like it. But no! Hallelujah!
To recap, I am here and I love it. But for now, I must go read and then curl up in my new Ikea sheets. From this point on, as long as I don't break my computer, my updates will hopefully provide some insight into how life as a German study abroad student goes.
Tschuess!

1 comment:

Leith said...

Congrats on your arrival in Freiburg! I'm a total stranger who has been following your blog with wonder and amusement for weeks now, we are so alike!
Anyway, I'm so glad you have settled so quickly, of course I had no doubt you would, but still its great to see you aren't missing home too much, and that you are living with Germans. Immersion is important.
I wish you continued good luck!