Sunday, September 10, 2006

accordion man

Everyday here brings something new to discover. I have to say, after only spending a week in Germany I've learned so much more about the US than I thought I ever would. Kind of like learning French helped with my German. You have to be able to step out of something to see it more clearly.
I still haven't quite figured out how to do my laundry and it's causing way more stress than it should. Julia and I stood in the laundry detergent aisle of Neukauf for a good 10 minutes deciding. It was an important decision considering I have no idea how to measure out mililiters of liquid, and drying clothes here is a whole different story. All of the Germans have racks to dry their clothes. There was one sitting outside of my dorm today, completely unattended.
Also, nothing is open in Europe on Sundays. Maybe a cafe or two, but otherwise the city goes to sleep for a day, which I kind of enjoy. Obviously it's for religious reasons, but taking a break from consumerism for a day is kind of peaceful. It's nothing too complicated to get around. Just do your shopping on Saturday and enjoy nature on Sunday.
Today one of the guides, Kati and her boyfriend took a small group of us "Wanderung zum Schoenberg". So I dragged myself out of bed early and slapped on my hiking boots. Whoo. What a trip. That was the most intense hike I've ever been on, which really doesn't say much, but still. I feel accomplished. We basically walked in circles up a mountain, ate our lunch at the top, and then I stumbled the whole way down. We also found this old ruin of a castle which was built in the 1300's and then destroyed in 1574. See, you don't really find stuff like that in Michigan.
This morning, because I was running late, I basically stuffed an entire deli into my bag. Now everything smells of lunchmeat. And I got mustard all over. Figures. Hiking + sandwich supplies = not a good idea.
After coming back here and passing out at my kitchen table, I sat down and hung out with some of my roommates. Craig, from Edmonton (I think?) just moved in. He's working on his Masters but it just over here for 6 months doing a language course. He also has 11 years of French down, so he offered to help me. Christoph also told me that Serena is working on her PhD. She translates ancient Greek texts and is writing her dissertation.
....Well, I feel absolutely inferior.
Christoph also got very serious with me for a moment and told me that no one in our WG will ever make fun of me if I mess up my German. He said that everyone is always willing to help, which is already abundantly obvious to me. I love these roommates.
They do make fun of my Woerter des Tages Buch, however.
I bought a small black book to write down new words I learn everyday, which I happen to think is a brilliant idea and I've already had a few people copy me. Over the course of the day I whip it out and make up random sentences to make myself remember. I think the funny part to the Germans is that they are in no specific order and look really odd next to each other. Helicopter, hippo, 'to yawn' and cavity are in a row, I believe.
They also made fun of me when I accidentally said "I sneezed a cable car". I don't really blame them though.

Yesterday was a beautiful day, both figuratively and literally. I called up Stephanie and we went out to wander around the city. I think it made me fall in love with Freiburg even more. In front of the cathedral we found fresh fruit and flowers being sold, where Stephanie bought a sunflower and 2 pears. There were street artists everywhere, but totally unlike those in the US. There was a drum circle, a street marimba-ist (I have no idea how to spell that) and my favorite was the accordion player. He was obviously totally in love with the music, which is something I understand a lot myself. He played while seated, his eyes were closed and he also swayed passionately back and forth to the music. I never thought an accordion could sound so amazing.
We eventually met up with Jordan and went back to his dorm to make dinner. I've decided that I really love group dinners. It's cheaper, probably healthier, and food tastes better when you work on it with your friends. Jordan made two different kinds of steak and one kind of chicken. (He was just feeling creative, I guess) I made mashed potatoes from scratch. And Stephanie made an impressive salad. We also grabbed two bottles of red wine and invited another girl in the program, Alexa, to eat with us.
None of us have family here, so we're doing the best we can. And it really does feel cozy.

Ah in the past few hours I believe I have developed a nasty head cold. I can hear my father's voice right now "Have you been taking care of yourself? ARE YOU GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP?" Well, au contrer, mon pere. I think I am actually sick because my body is in shock. Too much healthy food, exercise, and fresh air. And it's probably not used to all this amazing food. I'm getting into the habit of buying my food fresh daily, which feels a lot more natural. Food here isn't pumped full of preservatives and it's also a lot cheaper. I'm not really a big fan of milk but I tried some today and I actually savored a glass of milk. It was wonderful.

Maybe studying abroad is like being a little kid. I feel as if I'm experiencing everything for the first time again. Things like doing laundry and separating out my trash are confusing to me. I am struggling to learn the language and fit in with the others around me. And I miss those who were closest to me initially. 5 years ago I wouldn't have been able to live without my friends, and although I do miss my friends, it's my closest family members that I think about most often. Guess I came full circle. In many ways I feel like a toddler who just got thrown into day care and even though I have people watching out for me, I have to make my own mistakes and figure out all kinds of new rules. Of course, in daycare I used to bite people and one time I drew blood. Maybe this time around I'll do better in a different environment.
Tomorrow I begin my language course. So tomorrow, I go back to school. And, since I am the only person awake in my WG, and I'm sick, maybe it's time for bed.

1 week down. 47 to go.

No comments: