Friday, September 22, 2006

going east

I'm eating some bread with cream cheese, which is only making me miss my mother. I have noticed, after much research, that my mother is pretty lazy about putting cream cheese on bagels. I mean, she's a busy lady, but when she puts on cream cheese it's like she sticks the knife in once, takes out half the container, and then smears it all on one side.
I know, I know. My childhood was so difficult.
Yesterday I bought some wonderful new European shoes for 20 Euro. I now feel better about foot attire, which is absolutely essential in this continent. New Balances are the shoe of choice for most American college campuses, and we've heard mixed reviews about what Europeans think of them. I've heard that they are shoes for "poor people", but Christoph tells me they're really trendy because you can't get them over here. I have my trusty pair in boring grey with fraying laces, which absolutely scream America. I'll probably continue wearing them because at this point, they are like old friends.
Soooo, today I got one of my "mid-terms" back. 91%, which is absolutely amazing considering how much studying I did. I am happy with that. This was Grammatik, which is where I'm strongest. Today we took the Konversation test, so we'll see. Both exams count for 20% of my final grade in the class, but I'm not too concerned. Back in the States I'm usually all about being a totally stressed out student who lives in the library but while I'm here, I am going to do my best just to chill. My education will come from everyday living, and not learning exactly which adverb fits.
I woke up early today, and by early I mean 9:30. From October 9-13 we have to have a half hour academic appointment with Frau Mittman to decide which classes we will be taking. The sign-up sheet just went up in the AYF Office, so I wanted to scurry on over there to get a good time. The sooner we all get our appointments in, the earlier we can leave for Prague and run around like carefree hooligans. 4 girls and 1 gay man. This is going to be amazing.
Prague/Vienna planning is going well, but is also totally stressing me out. It looks like our train tickets in total will be 200 Euro, even with the discount. We've all purchased 'Bahnkarten' which are discount cards you can get for students that are 100 Euro. They get you half off every train ticket you buy for a year. So, this card will basically pay for itself on this trip. Thankfully, people in this world recognize that college students are dirtpoor. Like me.
Our tentative plans give us a full weekend in Prague, which has an amazing nightlife and I am so excited about. It will also be useful having Maryia with us, who says she can understand Czech. Vienna won't be a problem because I'll be with a bunch of German majors. I've already started looking into a few hostels. So, things are moving along smoothly. Hopefully I won't end up sleeping on a park bench with Czech bums, although that would make for a wonderful story.
It'll take us 9 and a half hours to get to Prague for 70 Euro. Boooo.
I've also contacted Lisa, my dear friend who is studying in Paris for the year. She's living with a host family in a huge apartment right in the middle of Paris, so I have somewhere to stay when I eventually go in that direction. I also have my friend, Melanie, staying the year in Padua, Italy. Then second semester I know a ton of people making their way over here to study abroad. This is all very exciting not only because they are familiar places, but I can go crash with them for free!
Laura has recently informed me that she's looking into studying abroad somewhere in the UK. I remember a few months back while I was doing paperwork for this program and Laura was flipping through the MSU Study Abroad booklet, my mother muttered "Geez I'll have to get another job." I definitely think Laura should study abroad but she's limited to the English language. Poor Laura.
She told me she could possibly be over in Europe next semester and I told her that's a horrible idea. Our parents would absolutely freak out. They would also have way too much free time and probably take up weird hobbies. And if she's over here next semester, that doesn't give me an excuse to come BACK to Europe in two years. Geez Laura.
No. One Patterson in Europe at a time, or the continent may explode.

Alright, all. Some guy named Jan is going to make us all dinner. He's some guy Maryia knows and he's invited us to his house for dinner, so I'm all about that. Men cooking me food is always appreciated, especially if they're foreign.
Tschuess!

No comments: