Monday, October 16, 2006

sleeping giant

Ah, I am somehow alive...
Right now I'm sitting at a computer station in our hostel in Vienna, which is absolutely spectacular. We just arrived here a few hours ago and were very pleased to find that we have a 4 bed room to ourselves in a brand new hostel. Apparently the shower is also perfection, though I have yet to try it. I paid 48 Euro for 3 nights, so not too bad. I'm also getting better at mastering the art of packing my backpack and figuring out how to wear it comfortably.
Prague was absolutely beyond words. I felt like I was in the middle of a fairy tale, and our first night there I yelled that it was like Disney World for adults. We did A LOT in 5 days and I feel that we left our mark on the city. Highlights included: a fashion show in the Municipal Building, arriving home at 7 AM after a night in the biggest night club in Middle Europe, falling madly in love with a Czech bartender and terrorizing our poor Australian roommate, Alan. The only major downside was that our mattresses at the Old Prague Hostel were basically a set of springs with a sheet over them, but most nights I was so exhausted it didn't matter. This was also a field daz compared to camping in sub-zero temperatures in Yellowstone. I also bonded with my bed in a weird twisted way. Overall our hostel was good and the location was amazing. I'll get back to Prague someday.
Anyway, much much more about that later, when I have a familiar keyboard to work with.
We somehow dragged ourselves out of bed at 7:30 today and caught a 10:01 train to WIEN. This was an old Czech train which was interesting...The toilets were basically a hole onto the tracks and the seats were upholstered sometime before communism. But we all drifted off into Ipod land (we have 6 among the 4 of us, which I realize is really sad) and dozed off. I put on Loreena Mckennitt and had a moment with the Czech countryside. The customs guys laughed at us because we all got so excited about getting new stamps on our passports. Thus far I have collected 4 new ones and I have two whole pages taken up with my city registration for Freiburg. Oh. Ah. Look at me GO.
We were all very, very excited to get back into a country where we could understand the language. Even on the train Stephanie was pointing and shouting out the city names as they sped bz. Granted, none of us are entirely fluent in German, but even pronouncing Czech was a major issue. I kept giving major roads nicknames, like K-rizzy for some street that was Kristgokavosnsiksa...or something like that. Maryia, thankfully, understood a little and got by with some weird mixture of Slavic nonsense when we had to harass taxi drivers. Most everyone in the city spoke English though, so we didn't have any major problems. But it's a lot more comforting to get back to someplace German speaking, even if it is a violently different dialect. I know here that I can immediately get my point across and be understood, even if the grammar isn't perfect and my accent is foreign.
It's great to know that the German language has become something that's safe for me. Tonight at the restaurant the waiter stopped by with an English menu, which we all scoffed at and ignored. At first he was slightly rude to us, but he eventually warmed up and told us to come back on Friday. I think the knowing German helped with this.
My travel companions are wonderful and are continuing to put up with me, even when I'm a huge pain in the ass. We are all doing some hard-core bonding and have had a lot of laughs along the way. We all feel slightly guilty for being so far from our families. Julia's mother had ear surgery the other day. My daddy's birthday is tomorrow. Stephanie is calling home every other day just to keep her mom from freaking out. It's nice to know that my peers are concerned about similar things, because we all wish we could be two places at once sometimes.
I also have noticed that after something wonderful happens, the first person I think of sharing that sight or experience with is my sister. Obviously my other closest loved ones are considered, but I'm starting to realize how Laura's eyes are probably the most similar to my own. Maybe it's how close we are in age, maybe it's the thousands of experiences that she and I have shared together, or maybe it's the fact that we were created out of the same genepool, but I know that the emotions that well up inside of me would do the same in her. But, I have to say, I did go to Prague and I passed up the Medieval Torture Museum, which is something Laura would never do.
Also as we continue traveling, we are constantly surprising people about the fact that we're American. Apparently, Americans are known worldwide for never traveling, which I never really thought was the case. We've been told by multiple groups that 12% of Americans even own a passport, which absolutely horrifies people. I just kind of smile blankly, tilt my head, and keep my mouth shut. I don't know what's true or not, but I can't say I'm surprised.
We have also let everyone know that we voted for Kerry and if the Bible Belt were to be sold to Mexico, we would be elated. This usually buy us some smiles.
At our last hostel we had two male roommates from a program studying abroad in Rome, who were nice enough, but rubbed Stephanie and I the wrong way. They wondered why we would ever learn German, kept making comments about their English speaking program and their one "stupid Italian class", and proudly talked about ending up in the hospital after Oktoberfest. Now, I applaud them for even coming to Europe at all, but that's hardly doing it right. I realize most people are happy in a little bubble of America, and that works out well for most of my friends and family. But how dare you judge us for doing the opposite. I have no idea which continent I'll eventually end up in, but it's types like that that immediately repel me and make me want to stay here. Yes, we are lucky to be a part of a culture that we love so much and are so eager to dive into, but I don't see how it'd be possible to ignore the rest of this world.
I had almost forgotten how Americans recoil in disgust when I let them know I'm learning German. Here, I'm commended for it. I am met with shocked faces which quickly melt into smiles. It is a warm and welcoming feeling, and each time I feel that Germans are flattered that I have taken such an interest in their language and culture. For example, our waiter tonight. Even though people my age are required to take English here, my studies in German have been my choice. I am so, so happy that I made that choice, back when I was 15. I suppose I have to thank my grandpa for that, though.

Ok this entry was originally supposed to be short and sweet, but my temper interfered. Today Julia asked me how many split personalities I had, 2 or 3, and I told her to hold on, I had to consult with the others inside my head.
I should be out exploring Vienna but it's dark and cold outside, and it's been a long day. Some people next to me are arguing loudly in French. It's amusing and slightly frustrating, since I've only caught about 4 whole words. Maybe it's Senegalese or something...or maybe I just suck at French.

This city also feels a little like it's been waiting for me and my reaction. I know that both of my parents have been here since the birth of me and I also know that Vienna was witness to a very crucial turning point in their marriage. I can't say it's upsetting, though. Almost the opposite, in fact. Granted, I don't know the whole story, and I probably never will, but that's alright. They have both come very, very far since that time and I suppose that's why I feel Vienna has been waiting like a sleeping giant for me, seeing what I'll do, how I'll react, what I'll think of...
I'm sure in these next few days I'll think about it more than once, but not painfully.
Things happened for a reason. I am happy about where I am, and I'm almost positive that my parents are happy where they are. At least for the most part, emotionally.

Off to trash my room some more.

No comments: